Image-guided robotic opthalmic microsurgery
Mark Draelos, Brenton Keller, Gao Tang, William Edwards, Yuan Tian, Kris Hauser, Anthony Kuo, Joseph Izatt
With collaborators at Duke University, we are studying robotic microsurgery in the eye guided by real-time intraoperative imaging from optical coherence tomography (OCT). We focus on the task of guiding a needle precisely to a target or along a 3D path, which is challenging for human surgeons due to the limitations of microscope depth perception and the accuracy of the human hand. Volumetric images from the eye are acquired by our OCT system at approximately 1 volume per second at the resolution of a few microns, and our needle guidance software processes the images, tracks the target in the tissue, predicts cornea deformation, and optimizes robot trajectories to guide the needle accurately to the target. We have also investigated Our techniques are able to achieve approximately 50 micron accuracy in the Deep Anterior Lamellar Keratoplasty (DALK) procedure
- W. Edwards, G. Tang, Y. Tian, M. Draelos, J. Izatt, A. Kuo, and K. Hauser. Data-driven Modelling and Control for Robot Needle Insertion in Deep Anterior Lamellar Keratoplasty. IEEE Robotics and Automation Letters, 7(2):1526-1533, April 2022. doi: 10.1109/LRA.2022.3140458.
- Y. Tian, M. Draelos, G. Tang, R. Qian, A. Kuo, J. A. Izatt, and K. Hauser. Toward Autonomous Robotic Micro-Suturing using Optical Coherence Tomography Calibration and Path Planning. IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), June 2020 Summary video ICRA 10-minute talk video
- B. Keller, M. Draelos, K. Zhou, R. Kuan, A. Kuo, G. Konidaris, K. Hauser, J. A. Izatt. OCT Guided Robotic Ophthalmic Microsurgery via Reinforcement Learning from Demonstration. IEEE Transactions on Robotics, Apr., 2020. doi:10.1109/TRO.2020.2980158
- M. Draelos, G. Tang, B. Keller, A. Kuo, K. Hauser, J. A. Izatt. Optical Coherence Tomography Guided Robotic Needle Insertion for Deep Anterior Lamellar Keratoplasty. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, Nov. 20, 2019. doi:10.1109/TBME.2019.2954505
- M. Draelos, P. Ortiz, R. Qian, B. Keller, K. Hauser, A. Kuo, and J. Izatt. Automatic Optical Coherence Tomography Imaging of Stationary and Moving Eyes with a Robotically-Aligned Scanner. IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, May, 2019. ICRA video
- B. Keller, M. Draelos, G. Tang, S. Farsiu, A. N. Kuo, K. Hauser, and J. A. Izatt. Real-time Corneal Segmentation and 3D Needle Tracking in Intrasurgical OCT. Biomedical Optics Express, 9(6):2716-2732, June 2018.
- M. Draelos, B. Keller, G. Tang, A. Kuo, K. Hauser, and J. Izatt.Real-Time Image-Guided Cooperative Robotic Assist Device for Deep Anterior Lamellar Keratoplasty. IEEE Intl Conf. on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), 2018. ICRA video